Rebellious and/or wild young people. Or just young people who are sort of "out there" in more ways than the average young person. You probably know a few of them yourself.
Compared to their decidedly more average peers, I have observed that a higher percentage of these RWYP seem to go into the military. This does not make much sense to me. "I'm rebellious and I'm wild and I don't like other people telling me what to do and I resent authorities. So I'm going to join the military, where people are always telling me what to do and where I'll likely always have authorities over me."
Here are some of my theories. (I mean absolutely no offense to past/present/future military personnel or families thereof. I really can't figure it out though.)
- They want to see the world?
- They know they need to get a semblance of discipline and order in their lives?
- It's a job from which they won't likely get rejected?
- They want to "make a difference?"
- They want to prove how tough they are?
- They want to handle guns and kill people legally?
Perhaps you are, were, knew, or know one of these RWYP. If so, please enlighten me.