EDIT: Answers appear at the bottom of the post. Highlight the text to read them. :)
Several years ago, my sister and I accepted a Bible knowledge challenge from two of the young men in our congregation. The challenge was for each team to put together a test of Bible trivia and present it to the other team. The men won, although by only a small margin. Their test was incredibly hard, and I wish I had a copy of it for posterity (and for my own study).
I think our test was also fairly challenging, and so I'm going to put some of the questions forth for our general readership's benefit so that you can hone your Bible skills (and so that I can be sure I haven't forgotten the answers to my own test!). Today I am going to present the questions from the second section of the challenge, which was the only section of the test where I still remembered all the answers. All of the quotes are from the NIV, because that was the version of the Bible we used most frequently at the time. And for the record, this is a closed-book test. No opening of Bibles!
I will post the answers tomorrow, provided I remember. :)
Good luck! :)
Who Said It?
In the following questions, name the speaker or speakers
1) “When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls"
2)"Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son."
3) "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God. Repent of this wickedness and pray to the Lord. Perhaps he will forgive you for having such a thought in your heart. For I see that you are full of bitterness and captive to sin."
4) "Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you"
5) "Even one of their own prophets has said, 'Cretans are always liars, evil brutes, lazy gluttons.' This testimony is true. Therefore, rebuke them sharply, so that they will be sound in the faith and will pay no attention to Jewish myths or to the commands of those who reject the truth. To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted."
6) "When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell."
7) "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."
8) "The word of the LORD came to me, saying,
'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
before you were born I set you apart;
I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.'
'Ah, Sovereign Lord,' I said, 'I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.'"
9)"When (person A) heard the noise of the people shouting, he said to (person B), 'There is the sound of war in the camp.'
(person B) replied:
'It is not the sound of victory,
it is not the sound of defeat;
it is the sound of singing that I hear.'"
10) "How long will you keep on getting drunk? Get rid of your wine."
11) "I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, 'May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my fathers are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?'"
12) "My skin grows black and peels;
my body burns with fever."
13) "'The fire and wood are here,' ______ said, 'but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?'"
14) "You stiff-necked people, with uncircumcised hearts and ears! You are just like your fathers: You always resist the Holy Spirit! Was there ever a prophet your fathers did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him-- you who have received the law that was put into effect through angels but have not obeyed it."
15) "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ."
16) "Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God."
17) "Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far?"
18) "Go, wash yourself seven times in the
19) "We should go up and take possession of the land, for we can certainly do it."
20) “He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; he will purify the Levites and refine them like gold and silver. Then the Lord will have men who will bring offerings in righteousness…”
21) “Out of the eater, something to eat;
Out of the strong, something sweet.”
22) “What have I done to make you beat me these three times?”
23) “For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish.”
24) “Blessed be Abram by God Most High,
Creator of heaven and earth.
And blessed be God Most High,
Who delivered your enemies into your hand.”
25) “I am in deep distress. Let me fall into the hands of the Lord, for his mercy is very great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men.”
1. Peter; 2. John; 3. Peter; 4. Jesus; 5. Paul
6. James; 7. Philip; 8. Jeremiah; 9. A: Joshua, B: Moses; 10. Eli
11. Nehemiah; 12. Job; 13. Isaac; 14. Stephen; 15. Paul (or, as my Dad pointed out, Timothy; they co-wrote Colossians)
16. Gamaliel; 17. David; 18. Elisha, or his servant (technically they both said it, but either answer is acceptable); 19. Caleb; 20. Malachi
21. Samson; 22. Balaam's Donkey; 23. Mordecai; 24. Melchizedek; 25. David